Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Here are the Independence Day trivia solutions. How did you spend your day paying homage to the great nation of U.S.A?
A. Easy Solutions:
- John Hancock, who else? This delegate from MA planted his gigantic signature into the declaration and in history.
3. Who was the oldest person to sign the famed Declaration of Independence?
- Benjamin Franklin, delegate from PA, signed the declaration at prime age of 70.
B. Difficult Solutions:
1. Who was the last person to sign the Declaration of Independence?
- Thomas McKean, delegate from DE, is believed to have been the last to sign the declaration.
2. How many delegates refused to sign the Declaration of Independence?
- 4 delegates: (though this is disputed). It is known that John Dickinson (DE), George Clinton (NY), Robert R. Livingston (NY), and Thomas Willing (PA) did not sign the declaration. For the skeptics who googled the question and found a different answer, click here for a list of the signers. Notice those who are not on the list.
3. Some historians argue that George Washington was not the first president of the U.S. Who is the other person who might be considered as first U.S. president and why?
- John Hanson was first elected President of Continental Congress while George Washington was Commander of Continental Army.